The demand for synthetic turf is rapidly growing as more people want to have a nice lawn. This is true especially during drought when natural grass is unable to survive the hot weather temperature.
What is Synthetic Turf?
Synthetic turf is engineered to resemble real grass using synthetic materials. It is normally used in places where grass cannot be maintained or cultivated.
The synthetic turf industry started in the early 1960’s. At that time, it was produced using the same process in making a carpet. Artificial grass available in the market today is already made of better materials, new designs and improved features such as ultraviolet-resistant, and wear-resistant.
It can withstand heavy use and doesn’t require mowing or trimming.
The overall performance of synthetic turf depends on the materials being used. Most backing materials in carpet backing are used in making the artificial turf. To produce high-quality synthetic turf, manufacturers use a polyester cord for backing.
The artificial grass fibers are made from polypropylene and nylon and manufactured in several ways.
Artificial grass is used as a recreation market and landscape in homes, parks, golf courses, sports arena, and etc. It provides an attractive landscape that requires low maintenance and resources. It’s a brilliant way to decorate spaces in public areas and landing strips.
It allows greater land and space utilization by making use of areas that are deemed to be unusable such as rooftops.
- Independent of the weather and season - Pitch is always green
- Doesn’t require a lot of work - no need for mowing or sowing
- Save time and money – low cost of maintenance and allows you to save water
- Pesticide-free - doesn’t need pesticides or fertilizer treatments
What you need to know
- Heat hazard – it has properties that can absorb heat, which can be very hot to use on extreme warm conditions.
- Harmful chemicals – depending on the raw products use by manufacturers, it may contain lead or zinc. So make sure to check the materials used before buying a synthetic turf.
- Don’t use the artificial turf during extremely hot weather.
- Clean and check for turf burns.
- Try to get the pellets on your clothes and shoes before leaving the field.
- Have your kid take a shower after playing.
Artificial grass is definitely a worthy investment in both for commercial and residential landscape since it can increase the value of your home or property. Choosing the right kind of synthetic turf and manufacturer is highly important to ensure long lasting and high-quality materials.